Sunday, July 6, 2014

When You Give A Mouse an Offer

Team VW finished our first English camp of the summer! You may rightfully have some questions about how that went. But first, I have a very important story from my evening. 

Tonight, after consuming about 4 pizzas among the four of us, we watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower. All of the feels. Then, to lighten the mood, a mouse ran across the floor. As big brave missionaries, none of us panicked at first, but then Andrew wielded a broom and tried to smack the creature dead. At this point the three of us girls started yelling appeals on behalf of this rodent that suddenly became the most valuable being in the room as our nurturing natures kicked in. 

Andrew set down the broom and we sat by as the mouse scampered by several more times, eventually going to the hall. When that location shift happened, Andrew and Petra went outside and seized a local cat that hangs about and trapped it in the hall with the mouse. However, walls and doors mean nothing to mice and before we knew it the mouse was back in our presence. 

Andrew, who will be sleeping in this room tonight, had had enough and again determined to slaughter the beast. "No!" we begged. "We will capture it! At least give it til we leave." He graciously conceded and went to Skype in the other room. 

At this point I had used several trapping tactics. First, obviously, I let the mouse know that I was on her side. I told her, "I know how bad this looks, me here with this plastic bag, trying to trap you, but I really want the best for you." I sang her "I Can Be Your Friend" from the classic days of Veggie Tales. I even rewrote the parts that didn't make sense so that she would understand ("if your skin is bald or furry/we can have lunch, I'll share my curry"). Along the way, Alyssa had joined my efforts and we realized that this mouse probably didn't even speak English. 

Petra popped in through the window for long enough to tell us the Czech word for mouse (which we shall call miš, pronounced mish, even if that is not quite correct) and for not long enough to help any more. Thus we took to calling our small friend Miss Miš. We had her confined to the back hall/room and bathroom area, which was progress, and I prayed for boldness to catch this mouse panicked and went into crisis mode and began misquoting the scripture about "becoming all things to all creatures so that by any means possible we may save some."

Eventually the elusive Miss Miš escaped to the bathroom and we hurriedly closed the door. Jumping up and down in excitement, I knew this quest was about to get real. We trapped ourselves in the bathroom with Miš. After cornering her 7 million times, Alyssa and I had Miš trapped between the shower, a trash can, and two bags. I saw my opportunity, yelled at Alyssa to hand me her bag, and watched in unbelief as Miss Miš RAN INTO THE BROWN PAPER BAG and I scooped her up, yelling in excitement. 

I closed the top and ran barefoot to the park alone yelling "I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY, I'M SORRY!" and dumped her by a bush in the middle of the park. 

VICTORY IN JESUS, Miss Miš is saved!

Blessings,
Jenna 

(This is the only photo I got in the whole 30+ minute intensive capturing extravaganza.)

No comments:

Post a Comment