Wednesday, June 13, 2012

El Museo de Eternidad

It is day one here in Guayaquil.

We slept in a little bit, ate breakfast (not without much confusion), and set off to explore the city. Our first stop was Iguana Park. There were scores of those little guys running around. To be honest, none of them were actually running. Most of them were perched in trees, chilling on the ground, and just weren't moving at all. The rest of them were eating lettuce rudely, mouths open and everything.

After we snapped an obscene amount of photographs of iguanas eating,  iguanas sitting, and us with the iguanas, we walked to a museum.

AWESOME! I thought, I LOVE MUSEUMS! We got a tour guide and entered the first room. AWESOME! I thought, I LOVE TOUR GUIDES! Many people speak of their "inner nerds" coming out. I do not relate. All of my nerd is outer.

It rapidly became evident that this tour guide knew not only English, but also everything there was to know about everything in the museum. You know how museums have plaques and explanations on all the exhibits and you never even dream of reading all of them? I think reading all of them could have saved us time.

I made it my personal goal to make this nice lady smile, and thus began smiling at her the whole time in the least creepy way possible. However, as our time in the museum passed (and passed and passed and passed), I began to think that maybe she had good reason to look so serious all of the time. Human sacrifice, invasions, live burials, and city wide fires are not pleasant topics to dwell on, and dwell on them she did, and did well. So I let her be.

Eventually, Chris, on of our team leaders, gently told our guide that we only had about ten more minutes. Thank goodness for that, because if he didn't, we would still be there.

Moral of the story: I now know EVERYTHING that has EVER happened in Guayaquil. So ask me. I'll Google it and get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment