Saturday, June 16, 2012

Las Aventuras Pequeñas

I am a lover of details that make my day. Other than that, I am a lover of very few other details. I would like to take this opportunity to share with you some of the details that have made my time in Ecuador what it is.

1.     Roosters. I am currently sitting on a couch in the largest city in the entire country. And still, in the morning, I hear ROOSTERS crowing. All of those children's books that tell you roosters are farm animals who live just to charmingly awaken their hardworking farmer owners each morning? Totally romanticized. Roosters are city folk. Loud, rude, city folk.

2.     Disney Princesses. Tonight, our whole team told each other which Disney Princess we would be and why. I, along with some of the guys, would (obviously) be Rapunzel. I think that it is pretty clear that her character was based off of me. Generally, these types of questions are used for icebreakers. However, my team has assembled to address such serious issues, though it is long after the ice has been shattered and then torched into a melted mess. (Por ejemplo:  Would you rather have hot dog or scissor fingers? What is your favorite form of transportation? What is the weirdest face you can make?)

3.     Garbage Trucks. We have noticed vehicles on the streets at night, blaring music that sounds like it comes from the Island of Misfit Toys in the Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer Christmas special. What a terrifying ice cream truck, we all thought, some of us consciously, and some of us subconsciously. Turns out, it is not the ice cream truck, but rather the GARAGE truck. So, a bit of heart-to-heart advice, don’t approach the music with a mile wide grin and a dollar in hand.

4.     Nice Cream. Find a cuter name for an ice cream place and tell me. I triple dog dare you.

5.     Elevators.  For one, there are the aforementioned dancing Indian amigos. You may not know this, but elevator shafts are actually the best way for sound to travel. As I blog, music from floors below and above screams at me. Recently, I sat down in the elevator and traveled to both floors. I experienced first an awkward encounter with staring at cakes, and then with staring at an awkwardly small number of people dancing. I'm sure the cakes and dancers wondered what this gringo was doing, sitting on the elevator floor, wearing crimson and red and holding a laptop.

That’s what I’ve got for now. Stay tuned for more nuances of Ecuador.

XOXO,
Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment